also known as dihydrocodeinone, is a semi-synthetic opioid synthesized from codeine, one of the opioid alkaloids found in the opium poppy. It is a narcotic analgesic used orally for the relief of moderate to severe pain. In one study comparing the potency of hydrocodone to that of Oxycodone, it was found that it took 50% more hydrocodone to achieve the same degree of miosis. The investigators interpreted this to mean that Oxycodone is about 50% more potent than hydrocodone. Equal amount of either drug provided about the same degree of pain relief, indicating that there is little practical difference between them when used for that purpose. the analgesic action of hydrocodone begins in 20–30 minutes and lasts about 4–8 hours. Recommended dosing interval is 4–6 hours. hydrocodone.
Uses of Hydrocodone
- Hydrocodone is an opioid narcotic prescription drug used suppress pain or as a cough suppressant.
- Hydrocodone according to the doctors should only be used by people who are suffering from pains caused due to fractured bones. But you can also
- Take it if you have other pains such as spasms, wounds, surgery stitches and so on.
- Hydrocodone proves to be one of the best pain-relieving medication in all these cases.
The main benefit of hydrocodone is that it will make different types of pains in the body go away. This effect is really strong and one pill can easily suppress different types of pains for around 6 – 8 hours.
Hydrocodone is used to treat moderate to severe pain and as an antitussive to treat cough.
Before taking this medicine
Some medicines can interact with hydrocodone and cause a serious condition called serotonin syndrome. Be sure your doctor knows if you also take the medicine for depression, mental illness, serious infections, or prevention of nausea and vomiting. Ask your doctor before making any changes in how or when you take your medications.
To make sure Lortab is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- liver disease, or if you drink more than 3 alcoholic beverages per day;
- a history of alcoholism or drug addiction;
- diarrhea, inflammatory bowel disease, bowel obstruction, severe constipation;
- kidney disease;
- low blood pressure, or if you are dehydrated;
- a history of head injury, brain tumor, or stroke;
How should I take Hydrocodone?
Take exactly as prescribed. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Never take this medicine in larger amounts, or for longer than prescribed. An overdose can damage your liver or cause death. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
Never take this medicine in larger amounts, or for longer than prescribed. An overdose can damage your liver or cause death. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
An overdose can damage your liver or cause death. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.
Symptoms of hydrocodone overdose include narrowed or widened pupils; slow, shallow, or stopped breathing; slowed or stopped heartbeat; cold, clammy, or blue skin; excessive sleepiness; loss of consciousness; seizures; or death.